Saturday, January 21, 2012

60 is the New 40...

... I heard that from a woman who just turned 50. Such wishful thinking is so cute. When I was 40 years old, I still considered a joint something you smoked rather than something that creaks and pops. I had a 1 year old son at 40. A 1 year old now at 60 would have me crawling along with him on the floor, just trying to keep up.

But we are the Baby Boomers, hear us roar, that Senior just means we are not Junior any more. I definitely agree that we are younger in our minds, if not our bodies. We still love rock and roll, even if we really don't want to look like Keith Richards until we have been in our graves at least 10 years.

To everyone who has turned 50, or even 60 - wtf? How did this happen? You are just living your life, busy getting your ass kicked in multiple ways, when suddenly it seems you have gotten... (don't say it!) old.

That old friend "denial" shifts into gear and you tell yourself you are "middle-aged." Yes, I am, if I am going to live to be 120.

I was always the "youngest" to do some of the things I have done in life - youngest manager, youngest VP, youngest old fart.  When did the bags under my eyes start being big enough to pay baggage fees?  Why did my neck suddenly start to fall down? OK, I just heard every woman I know say "..and you are worried about your neck starting to sag???"

I will deny that I am old until I am too old to remember that I am, when 90 is the new 70.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. It is being reviewed to make sure it is not spam or any other form of lunch meat prior to being posted.